Lerwick RC Parish Church
Welcome to the northernmost Catholic parish in the British Isles. The parish of St Margaret and the Sacred Heart, Lerwick covers the entire Shetland Islands and also serves the pastoral needs of the oil and gas industry, and ships putting in to Lerwick Harbour.
Mass Times for St Margaret's, Lerwick
Weekday and Sunday Masses resumed on Wednesday 15th July 2020 and are unaffected by the current Level 3 regulations. Because of corona virus precautions the church and parish rooms remain closed outside service times. You are advised to BOOK AHEAD if you would like to attend Mass since numbers are limited to 25. Visitors to the parish are welcome, but please register through the Contact page, giving your name, Shetland address and contact phone number. This is necessary for contact tracing in the event of an outbreak of corona virus involving our church.
SUNDAY 10.30 a.m and 7.30 p.m..
Monday - 8 a.m. (Preceded by Adoration from 7 a.m. during Lent).
Tuesday - 1 p.m. (new time)
Wednesday - 5.15 p.m. (Ash Wednesday additional Mass at 1 p.m.)
Thursday - 1 p.m.
Friday - 5.15 p.m.
Saturday - 11.30 a.m. VIGIL MASS AT 5 p.m.
For those who are self-isolating during this present crisis here are some Catholic websites recommended by parishioners to sustain you in prayer while you are unable to attend Mass:
- The Chaplet of Divine Mercy in Song (YouTube)
- Live Mass from Knock Shrine (Ireland) at 12 noon and 7.30 p.m., beginning with the Rosary at 7 p.m. There is also a silent video of the Apparitions Chapel to help prayer and meditation.
- Church Services TV, a wide selection of live Masses and celebrations of the Divine Office from churches and monasteries in Britain and Ireland. Mass from Clonard in Northern Ireland at 7 a.m.
- Streamed Masses, daily Morning & Evening Prayer, Stations of the Cross and Sunday Homilies from Aberdeen Cathedral and Roman Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Aberdeen.
- Pray More Retreat
- Stations of the Cross, with the SCIAF text and pictures of the Lerwick Stations of the Cross
- Shalom World, Live Mass at 10 a.m. every day from Portlaoise, Ireland
EWTN, Sky Channel 588, Masses at 12 Noon, 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. from Alabama, USA.
* * * * * *
Parish Room & Chapel of Our Lady of Czestochowa
The Czestochowa Chapel, which is located within the Parish Room adjacent to the Church, is currently closed to visitors because of the Coronavirus outbreak.
The Catholic Church in Shetland
View from near the site of St Magnus's Church, Tingwall, which in the Middle Ages was the seat of the Archdeacon of Shetland.
You will find a brief history of the Catholic Church in the Shetland Islands on the blog page. Links will be added to this Home Page as new blogs are added:
- 1. Early Christian Shetland - St Ninian's Isle
- 2. Celtic Missionaries to Shetland
- 3. The Norse Church in Shetland
- 4. The Medieval Church in Shetland
- 5. The North Pole Mission (1860-69)
- 6. The Herring Boom (1870-1914)
The Parish has adopted four students in Ghana and is funding their tertiary education. More details can be found on the AFRICA FUND page (see link, right) and on the Blog.